Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Sunflowers?

Every year, I have had sunflowers growing somewhere in my yard.  This year, as I was going through the stores looking at flower seeds, I noticed 'Ornamental' Sunflower seeds.  How very interesting.  Something I have never seen before and of course, had to give it a try.  I wasn't a bit disappointed.

Every plant seemed to yield an array of sunflowers of every color, shape, and size.


As I watched these lovelies grow, my curiosity peaked and I began to wonder just how they came about.  I found the Sunflower seeds were brought to Europe in the 16th Century.  The seeds, along with the flowers oil became a popular cooking ingredient widespread. 


This one was very interesting.  Four flowers in one.  Did you know that the head of a sunflower has 1-2,000 individual flowers that are joined together by a receptacle base?


Were you aware that the leaves of a Sunflower can be used for cattle feed?  Or that the fibre within the stems can be used for paper production?


Out of all the new varieties that grew, this one had to be my favorite.  Research shows it is the 'Teddy Bear' Sunflower.  It is medium size, and is soft to the touch.


Other facts about Sunflowers that I found interesting:
It is one of the few oils that is not prohibited during lent.
It is the state flower of Kansas.
It is the symbol of the Vegan Society.
and it is the National flower of Peru, Russia, and Ukraine.

I guess there is more to this little flower than meets the eye!