Monday, December 5, 2011

Something So Small as a Smile

Most of the time, I am so energized as Christmas approaches. I enjoy the hustle and bustle of shopping, the sweet smells of fresh baked cookies and cakes permeating throughout the house, and the fun in preparing a wonderful meal to be shared amongst our family.   But, this year I have had a slow start at it.  I have watched the Christmas items line the shelves of the stores, TV commercials advertising the latest gift ideas,  but I still have not been able to get myself motivated.

Usually, I decorate the entire house, inside and out, and Friday afternoon one of my neighbors asked me where my decorations were.  I laughed, and told him I was going to take a break this year.  He seemed genuinely sad.    He informed me that he was going to put out extra lights and decorations and I had no problem offering him help if he needed it, I just couldn't seem to find the momentum to do my own.  I think that a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm really missing my old house.  I find myself thinking about my decorating routine back then and it saddens me.
A couple of weeks ago, I had sent a Christmas package to a family that I love dearly.  Sat. evening, I had propped up in bed, hoping to finish catching up on blog posts when my skype goes off.  It's them!  The package has been delivered after two weeks in the mail.  A big sigh of relief.  The whole family is there, and they make their way through the package.  
But something very strange happened during that skype call...I found myself excited by the idea of Christmas, motivated to get up and start putting up decorations, and most of all...being thankful for my family and friends.  All of this came from one little girl's smile, a smile that lit up the room.  Her sweet "thank you's" still linger in my mind.  We were only on for a short time, but it is amazing how I felt after I hung up.
Needless to say, I spent the rest of the weekend decorating.  We have a nursery just up the road that I found a small Christmas tree just calling my name.  It was hidden behind all of the taller trees, but seriously looked like it needed some TLC.  Now, it is residing in our living room, adorned with lights and decorations ☺  Hubby and I even snuck out for a little while and did some Christmas shopping.
It never ceases to amaze me how God works in such mysterious ways.  How one little girl's smile and voice could touch me in such a deep way.  Sending a huge thank you, to my little one across the vast waters.  May you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!©